Another week of amazing 4th of July recipes for you guys!! The 4th of July is almost here and with these temperatures it sure feels like it!
We are planning to go to a 4th of July parade, have a cookout and catch a great firework show this 4th. This Patriotic Funfetti Angel Food Cake will be the perfect make ahead light dessert for all our celebrations.
I can make this cake the day before and it is so light and fluffy it makes a fabulous dessert that won’t weigh you down in all this heat.
I think angel food cake topped with strawberries is just essential to any summer get together, it is like the official cake of summer around here. Jazzing it up for the 4th of July proved to create a gorgeous cake everyone wanted seconds of, and hey it’s angel food cake your allowed to have seconds since there is no oil, butter or egg yolks in this recipe.
Angel food cake is a cinch to make and as long as you let it cool completely upside down before releasing from the pan you will have a gorgeous cake.
P.S. I love making angel food cakes and pound cakes because I get to bake them in my great grandmother’s pan.
So whip up this super patriotic cake for your family and friends this 4th of July and really wow your guests.
- About 12 large eggs
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup cake flour or all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- red and blue food coloring
- white chocolate
- About 30 minutes before making the cake, place an egg separator over a small bowl. Crack each egg over the egg separator to separate the whites from the yolk. (save the yolks for another recipe.) Transfer egg whites to a 2-cup measuring cup until there are 1½ cups of egg whites.
- Place the egg whites in a clean large bowl, and let stand at room temperature up to 30 minutes.
- Move the oven rack to the lowest position; remove other oven rack. Heat the oven to 375°F. In a medium bowl, mix the powdered sugar and flour; set aside.
- Add the cream of tartar to the egg whites; beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until mixture looks foamy. On high speed, beat in the granulated sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time; add the vanilla, almond extract and salt with the last addition of sugar. Continue beating until meringue is stiff and glossy. Do not underbeat.
- Sprinkle the powdered sugar-flour mixture, ¼ cup at a time, over the meringue; to fold in, use a rubber spatula to cut down vertically through the batter, then slide the spatula across the bottom of the bowl and up the side just until sugar-flour mixture disappears. Gently fold in about ¼ cup red, white, blue sprinkles. When all sugar-flour mixture has been folded in, spoon the batter into an ungreased 10x4-inch angel food (tube) cake pan. Using a metal spatula or knife, gently cut through the batter, spreading batter gently against side of pan and tube, to break large air pockets.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until cracks in cake feel dry and top springs back when touched lightly. Immediately turn pan upside down onto a heatproof funnel or bottle. Let cake hang about 2 hours or until completely cool. Run knife around edge of pan to help release cake from pan and place on cake stand.
- Divide confectioners sugar in 3 bowls (1/3 cup each) and add a few drops of red food color to one bowl, a few drops of blue to another. Add cold water ½ teaspoon at a time to each bowl of sugar until you get a thick glaze. Drizzle glazes all over cake.
- Melt a quarter pound of white melting chocolate in the microwave in 30 second intervals until smooth. Dip 5-6 strawberries into the chocolate, letting the excess fall off, and place berries on wax paper and immediately sprinkle with star sprinkles. When strawberries are dry add them to the top of the cake. Slice and serve!
Want more patriotic dessert ideas? Head over to Dana’s and check out her Patriotic Brownie Sandwich Cookies! Yum!
Check out more 4th of July goodies here —->
Follow me on Pinterest for more yummy recipes!!